A few interview tips……….take on board what you need, but remember prospective employers want to see the real you.
Before the interview
- Learn what you can about the company, read their website and familiarize yourself as much as possible.
- Make sure you know where you are going allow for traffic flow and parking. If you are going by public transport check bus / train times. Have the Hiring Managers phone number so if you have an issue you can contact them easily.
- Dress appropriately for the job you are interviewing for.
- Turn off your cell phone, while this may seem obvious it is easily forgotten.
At the Interview
Be on time. It is better to be early than late. If something happens to delay you that is beyond your control phone the company to let them know.
- Shake hands firmly, making good eye contact.
- Speak clearly and answer questions honestly. The interviewer should ask ‘open’ questions, however if this doesn’t’ happen try not to answer with just a ‘yes’ or ‘no’.
- Listen carefully to what is being said, take your time and speak from experience. Be positive about your skills and attributes, do not criticize your previous employer.
- Don’t chew gum.
- Remember the interview is also a time for you to learn about the company so ask any questions you have. This is also a good time to ask about training and career progression.
- If you are nervous and feel that it didn’t go as well as you would have liked because of this, be honest. Most people do understand that interviews can be stressful.
After the Interview
- When the timeframe for a decision has neared or past, telephone and find out where you are in their process.
If you are interviewed and are unsuccessful you may have been beaten by someone that simply had more industry or job related experience than you. Look at anything you may alter for next time and stay positive.
If you are offered the job agree a start date and time, check what you need to bring ie. Bank account details etc. Once you have your employment contract, take time to read it thoroughly and get professional advice if you need it.Contact Us Today